History/Timetable

Historical marker
1950
The Foundation of The New York State Bar Association is incorporated in the State of New York 

1953 
The Foundation (and the NYSBA) moves from a room in the State Capitol to 99 Washington Avenue, Albany. The Foundation renovates the building and develops a law library for members at this site.

1968
The Foundation purchases Elk Street property

1971
New York State Bar Center at 1-6 Elk Street, Albany is formally dedicated 

1974 
The Foundation is renamed The New York Bar Foundation
The Fellows of The New York Bar Foundation established
  
1976
Inaugural Annual Fellows Dinner held 

1980
Four distinct Grant Committees established 
  
1986
The Foundation conducts a $6.8 million Capital Campaign to expand The Bar Center offices 
 
1990 
The Bar Center is rededicated upon completion of expansion program
Foundation Board increases Director seats to 15

1998
District Chairs of The Fellows are created for each of the 12 judicial districts in New York State 
  
2004 
Foundation Board increases Director seats to 22
Foundation’s first employees, a Director of Development and Secretary hired
The Fellows Pro Bono Program begins
   
2005
Foundation Board increases Director seats to 25
The Chair and Vice Chair of The Fellows hold ex officio seats on the Board of Directors  
Foundation Web site launched 
  
2006
Charitable Gift Annuity Program initiated
The New York Bar Foundation Legacy Society established 
  
2007
Lifetime Achievement Award created 
    
2008
The New York Bar Foundation Endowment established


2014

New Foundation website launched


2015

Bylaws updated to include addition of Immediate Past President to Officer listing