Provides funding for scholarships to law students attending a law school in New York State who excel in legal writing and advocacy skills.
This fund was established in 2004 by Meyer, Suozzi, English & Klein, P.C., to honor Judge Bernard S. Meyer. Judge Meyer, an Associate Judge of the Court of Appeals from May 1979 until December 31, 1986, practiced law with the firm from 1987 until his death on September 3, 2005. Prior to his appointment to the Court of Appeals in 1979 by Governor Hugh Carey, he had been a senior member of the firm.
At the time of his death, Judge Meyer was co-authoring a history of the Court of Appeals. Part of a two-volume history, The History of the New York Court of Appeals, 1932-2003 was published in 2006. The American Jewish Committee bestowed the Judge Learned Hand Award, its highest honor, on Judge Meyer in June 2003. This prestigious award is presented to outstanding members of the legal profession who exemplify the highest principles for which Judge Hand was renowned.
Founded in 1960, Meyer, Suozzi, English & Klein, P.C. has five practice locations in Mineola, Melville, New York City, Albany and Washington DC. The firm has a demonstrated commitment to its clients, and to community and public affairs. The firm’s 65 attorneys include former judges and government officials, leaders of the civic and legal communities, and attorneys widely recognized as outstanding practitioners of their profession.